Saturday, January 15, 2011

Yes and Noh

  One time I was at a book store in Tucson.  One of the TVs had a sample video game that someone was playing.  There were people in Kabuki masks as characters in the game.  I went to the counter and asked what game that was.  The clerk said it was a Kabuki video game (no shit, Sherlock).  As you may know, Kabuki is a form of Japanese theatre.  Another form of Japanese theatre is Noh, so I asked him, "Do you have any Noh games?"  He said, "Huh?"  I repeated, "Do you have any Noh games?"  He said, "What is that?"  I said, "What part of Noh do you not understand?"  Boy, I'm a mean video game shopper!
  Speaking of lost in translation, you know that scene in The Mask with Jim Carrey where Stanley Ipkis is in jail and he's trying to get his dog to retrieve the keys to his cell?  The dog mishears him and brings him a slice of cheese from a nearby sandwich.  Stanley has to correct him by saying, "Not the cheese, the keys!"  It occurs to me that people in Spain wouldn't get that joke if it was translated into Spanish.  It would be something along the lines of, "No el queso, la llaves!"  They'd be all thinking, "What kind of estupido perro is that?"  That's another of those things that occupies far too much of my mind capacity.
  I'll leave you with this story.  Once my wife and I were driving across country.  I threw on a Blind Melon CD cuz they're one of my favorite bands of all time.  She told me that the lead singer, Shannon Hoon (R.I.P.) sounded to her like the lead singer of the band, Yes.  She later put on some of their music and I have to say, she was right.  Tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment