Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Acronyms

  The other day I noticed two or three Border Patrol vehicles on I-95 on my way down to Jacksonville.  Apparently, they just sit there, day after day, looking ominous.  In my mind, that's borderline harassment!
  The military is crazy with acronyms!  I made one up to describe my mental capacity: RETARDS, which stands for RETention And Recall Deficiency Syndrome.  Anyway, here's a quick lesson in Navy acronyms as related to you in a personal story.
  When I was taken off the Wyoming, I was put into the Transient Personnel Unit (TPU) in Jacksonville.  That meant that I had to drive down to Florida to muster with them.  I voiced my concern with this set up so they cut me Temporarily Assigned Duty (TAD) orders to the Naval Submarine Support Command (NSSC).  Even so, I still had to drive down every Thursday to attend a General Military Training (GMT) on the Navy base in Jacksonville.  That continued until the Personnel Support Detachment (PSD) gave me Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders to the Trident Refit Facility (TRF) on the King's Bay Submarine Base in Georgia.  In other words, I had to go to GMT with TPU even though I was TAD to NSSC until PSD gave me a PCS to TRF.  Got that?  Sadly enough, Kayla's been around all this shit for so long that she actually understands what all that meant.  I'm sorry, Kayla.

No comments:

Post a Comment