Saturday, February 19, 2011

Night of the Creeps

  This is one of my favorite movies of all time.  I think you can see the influence from it in the Nocent book with aliens being the cause for a zombie outbreak.  But this movie is so much more.  It's humorous, intelligent, the protagonist is a nerd and the characters are well thought out.  Everyone has a back story just like in Star Wars.  All the stories fit together and lead to this one night of terror.
  Other gory movies with a humorous edge include: Evil Dead 2, Return of the Living Dead, Darkman, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, The Pit and the Pendulum (Full Moon), Netherbeast Incorporated, Army of Darkness, the Lost Boys trilogy, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland and the Chucky sequels.  All of these are some of my favorite movies.  I always like movies where the characters are real and the dialog isn't stupid.  Smart people being killed by even smarter bad guys.  That's the stuff!  I mean, if I had the Terminator, an Alien or the Predator after me, I would have just as much, if not more trouble than the heroes and heroines did.  I wouldn't be an idiot like most horror movie characters, but I just might not be able to outsmart the baddies.
  Writing the Nocent stories, I'm trying to write something that, if I read it or saw it in the theaters, I wouldn't be telling the characters that they made a stupid choice.  They might make the wrong choice, but at least it would be an intelligent one.  That's what I find scary, making a good choice that ends up being the wrong choice anyway because the bad guy is one step ahead of you.  Night of the Creeps has some badass characters who know how to kick ass.  Did you notice the guy who ran the armory was the same guy who ran the gun shop in the Terminator and met pretty much the same fate.  Anyway, if the Nocent could be half as cool as Night of the Creeps, I will be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment